Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Food Envy: Vietnamese Beef Soup


For years I have professed I can't cook, which I can't.  I've never really had an interest in cooking and it probably stems from the fact that I enjoy simple foods, or rather bland food.  I'm not one for wild flavours and spices.  Since being back in Australia I've been able to experiment more with a fully stocked kitchen and followed this recipe to make Vietnamese Beef Soup.  I was surprised how easy it was to make and that I didn't mess it up!

What you'll need:
750 ml (25.4 fl oz) salt-reduced beef stock
3 teaspoons fish sauce
1 tablespoon (20 ml) tamari or salt-reduced soy sauce
4 cm/1.6 in. piece fresh ginger, thinly sliced
2 pods star anise
1 medium cinnamon stick
80 g(3 oz) dried vermicelli noodles
120 g (4.2 oz) bean sprouts
120 g (4.2 oz) lean rump steak, thinly sliced
1/3 cup fresh coriander sprigs
1/3 cup Thai basil leaves
1/3 cup fresh mint leaves
1 medium (70g) lime, juiced

Follow the Instructions:
Place the stock, fish sauce, soy sauce, ginger, star anise, cinnamon stick and 2 cups water in a saucepan. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove the ginger, star anise and cinnamon with a slotted spoon and discard.
Meanwhile, cook the noodles following packet directions. Drain and divide between serving bowls. Top with the bean sprouts, beef and fresh herbs.
Reheat the stock until almost boiling and stir in the lime juice. Ladle the hot stock over the noodle mixture (the hot stock will cook the beef).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and hope to see you soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...