Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The other Leonardo exhibition


While the National Gallery of London is about to wrap up what is supposed to be an amazing exhibition of Leonardo Da Vinci (I was never able to get tickets to go) while he was a painter at the Court of Milan there  is also another exhibition on... in Venice.  At a small church in a small square there is an exhibition of Da Vinci's drawings of mechanical equipment and wooden examples of each.  I was wandering around the city and thought I was in the middle of nowhere when I stumbled across a poster out the front of a church.  Behind a black curtain lay examples of what some would call Da Vinci's greatest achievements.  I was truly astounded at the variety of examples on show and the technicality of them all for a period so many centuries ago.  This is why Da Vinci is my favourite Renaissance Man.  They even had a full scale example of his wings made for humans!


Da Vinci's Wings!

Da Vinci's Parachute and Bicycle
One of the things I found most interesting was his war tactics.
If you look closely you can see the tactic for defending the
town walls by pushing the ladders away from the wall with
a pulley system.

2 comments:

  1. I love Leonardo da Vinci! He was such an inspirational and talented man. I once read a biography about his life and have been fascinated ever since. I also have been in Venice & saw exhibitions about his work in Italy. He was just such a genius!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! He was so ahead of his time it was almost unbelievable! How incredible is Venice? It is so beautiful not matter what season. x

      Delete

Thanks for reading and hope to see you soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...